We are currently recruiting an experienced Health and Safety Specialist to join our team supporting our client in the automotive industry.
- Must be willing and able to travel to the USA, without restrictions, effective on the start date
- Valid driver's license is required as well as a clean driving record
- Plan, coordinate and implement comprehensive Health & Safety programs to ensure continued compliance with all applicable corporate policies and government regulations for salary, hourly bargaining unit, contract employees and contractors.
- Manage the Multi-Site Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) for the Automotive Research & Development Centre (ARDC) and the Vehicle Completion Centre (VCC).
- Coordinate a robust training program for all new and existing salary, hourly and contract employees in compliance with corporate and government regulations and standards.
- Monitor changes to Health and Safety legislation and ensure current safety programs and practices are in compliance with changes.
- Ensure activities of service providers and construction contractors with respect to health and safety are in compliance with corporate and government regulations and standards.
- Responsible for all Health & Safety programs to ensure compliance with applicable Provincial regulations and corporate policies. Investigate and develop resolutions to safety concerns and work refusals with all hourly, salary and contract employees.
- Co-Chair monthly multi-site JHSC Incident meetings for the ARDC and VCC. Represent the ARDC and VCC during Corporate H&S Compliance Audits and coordinate & conduct weekly observation tours.
- Chair weekly incident meetings with department supervisors and managers.
- Develop training plans and maintain records for all employees, contract associates and students as required by OH&S Act & Regulations. Conduct new employee, contractor and student H&S orientations.
- Represent the company during Ministry of Labour (MOL) visits and investigate, resolve and close subsequent MOL orders.
- Coordinate Prestart Safety Reviews and Safety Buy-offs for all new equipment and processes.
- Manage the professional consulting services including conducting Prestart Safety Reviews, Confined Space Hazard Assessments and Rescue
- Health & Safety pillar lead
REQUIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Diploma or trade in Health and Safety, Human Resources, Labour Relations, Risk Management or closely related field
- 5-10 years of experience with Occupational Health and Safety, risk management or safety related experience in construction or industrial environment
- Minimum Level 1 Health & Safety certification registered with WSIB an asset
- 2-5 years of experience in a unionized labour environment
- Strong project management, organizational, teamwork, written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to accept a wide variety of assignments including some outside the realm of health and safety in a customer service oriented environment
- Proficient with MS Office programs
- Experience with electric vehicle safety would be an asset but not required
OTHER PERKS & BENEFITS:
- Paid Benefits after 90 days (individual and family) – extended medical, out-of-country coverage, dental etc.
- Pension eligibility, with employer match, after 1 full year of work (open enrollment every October)
MEDA offers an excellent referral bonus. Great candidates know great candidates
MEDA Limited is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of any of the protected reasons as described in the Ontario Human Rights Code. We are committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities, as described in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, reasonable accommodation requests will be reviewed and granted to those that request assistance during our hiring process.